Pizza Hut is an American restaurant chain and international franchise that offers different styles of pizza along with side dishes including salad, pasta, buffalo wings, breadsticks, and garlic bread.
- The first Pizza Hut restaurant opened in 1958 in Wichita Kansas, started by two college-aged brothers who borrowed $600 from their mother.
- “Putt-Putt to Pizza Hut” musical jingle was developed in 1965 for Pizza Hut’s first television commercial.
- In 1966, Pizza Hut built its home office in Wichita to handle business for 145 Pizza Hut restaurants.
- The red roof was adopted for restaurants in 1969.
- In 1971, Pizza Hut became the number one pizza restaurant chain in the world in both sales and number of restaurants.
- In 1989, for the first time in history, Pizza Hut pizza was delivered to the White House. First Lady Barbara Bush threw a party for 200 Washington, D.C. children during a “Reading is Fundamental” reception.
- In 1990, Pizza Hut delivered more than 1,340,000 pizzas, or about 7,000 pies a minute on “Super Bowl Sunday”.
- Pizza Hut made its fastest and farthest delivery in 1993, Six hundred large pepperoni pizzas were delivered on a 24 hour flight for Dover Air Force Base to U.S. service personnel in Mogadishu, Somalia